Now that I am back from the Puna Wai Ora retreat, let me explain why it added value for me:
- Time out for healing: I had an opportunity for time out of my normal life, combined with a focus of healing (I am doing chemo at the moment but it feels yucky a lot of the time, not like I am healing (even though I am!)).
- Focus on my health issues: I had four one on one sessions focussed on my life and its stressors, and how I might move towards a more healthy life.
- The elusive emotional cause of cancer: Many people with cancer feel that there is an emotional cause but it is quite hard to pinpoint what it might be for them exactly. From the therapy sessions and conversations, I feel that I have identified and resolved many of my core issues.
- Stillness: The lack of busy-ness meant that I could reflect, go for walks, watch inspiring DVDs and read books (that I normally wouldn’t read). The stillness was therapeutic and I learned a lot from my reading.
- Which lifestyle? Based on what I experienced at the retreat. I am feeling that I have more control over the type of lifestyle I have. I don’t need to be so busy and can live in a relaxed lifestyle if I choose.
- Inspiring people: The two people who run the healing centre – Arthur and Glen – live and work within integrity and healing. It is so refreshing in this day and age to know people who work in line with their values, not just money. I found this extremely inspiring.
- I have a plan: I came away with an individually tailored plan of goals to work towards in my cancer healing journey.
- Nature – a beauty spot: I haven’t been to Whangamata for 20 years; it is such a beautiful place and the retreat centre was in a place of immense natural beauty. All the weather changes (sun to rain and then fog) combined with the green rich valleys, animals, birds, trees and ocean views made me realise how important being in nature is. It is very peaceful.
I hope that I can get back to the retreat in the future and I sincerely recommend going to Puna Wai Ora and immersing yourself in a healing centred, nature inspired retreat http://www.alternative-cancer-care.com/Cancer_NZ_Retreat.html