I have had a lot of time to reflect while I have been on holiday. And here is why I think a post cancer holiday is important:
- Going through treatment is challenging and planning a holiday gives you something to look forward to. It really is the time to dust off the bucket list and think about what it is that you really love to do. And if you have always wanted to go to Italy, Egypt, France or Norway, now is the best time to start thinking about it. Not only is it good for you to be thinking about positive things that you love. But planning a trip feels good too.
- Planning a trip is a new hobby. I think cancer treatment time is the perfect time to start a hobby you have always wanted to try but planning a holiday is a new activity which takes your health to a new level. Your body will be producing all those feel good chemicals and making you healthier.
- Having a holiday to look forward to gives you hope. You are anticipating something good, and feeling optimistic and positive. These things are important!
- It is fun! And we all need lots of fun.
- The holiday itself helps you get your mojo back. Many people tell me that cancer takes away their confidence. Well going away on holiday takes you outside your comfort zone and stretches you in a positive way. One minute, you are having treatment and the next; you are taking the Metro in Paris. It kind of boggles your mind to go from one extreme to another and sort of re-programmes your brain. You are a person, not a cancer survivor and maybe you can do lots of amazing things with the rest of your life.
- You get to meet lots of new people, visit new places and learn a new language.
- It proves to you that life will be good again, that life can be extremely good and that most importantly life can be good for YOU, not just for other people.
- Like me, you can end a cancer oriented year on a very high note!
- And you have heaps of good memories to look back on.
What are your tips for a good post cancer holiday? I will add more tips in the next weeks.