Hi everyone, here are a few musings of mine on work, life purpose, career and a few other things. I’d love to have your thoughts on this too!
Why am I here? What is my purpose?
I have always felt that my purpose was about healing. Healing myself and helping others to heal. Everything in my life has been about this. I had over 20 surgeries before age 20 as a result of a congenital eye condition and osteomyelitis. I felt life was hard and found it hard to find joy. But I was always clear about my purpose – to heal myself and help others.
In my thirties, I had more health issues arising from the genetic condition. I limped a bit through that while working to help others in developing countries. On my 39th birthday, I was diagnosed with breast cancer and started another health and healing journey. Then, at age 43, I was diagnosed with breast cancer again. While going through these journeys, I did as much personal healing as possible and again, tried to help others with their healing journeys.
But what now? I’m 45 years old now and a year on from breast cancer treatment. I am cancer free but still have a bit of residue from all I’ve been through. Two cancers have taken their toll.
And here I am questioning why am I here? What is my purpose?
I still believe passionately that I am here to make a positive difference on the planet. I want people to know that there is hope, that they can survive and that most importantly, they can be happy and at peace.
But how do I do that? I am in no man’s land. I have accumulated debt through my health journeys and need to bring in income. But more than anything, I need to work and be productive in ways that ring true, are in integrity and feel meaningful. I know that life purpose and income are two different things but I am left in the middle of these.
So I lurch from no paid work to short term contracts where I’m paid my worth but are they my purpose? I feel like a jack in the box. I want to do rewarding paid work that makes a difference – where do I find this? And how does this relate to my purpose?
Perhaps I need to be more flexible; see the world wrapped around me as my purpose – taking opportunities each day to heal myself and have joy. And opportunities each day to help others in any way I can which feels right and adds to my health.
Perhaps I forget about career and work and focus on day to day, bringing in income, making a difference where I can and experiencing joy. Perhaps that is enough purpose for me while I recover from two breast cancers in the last six years.
It seems that I need to change my definitions of achievement, work, career and purpose.
- If I am doing things I love or simply enjoy, they are not work. Then I do not need to work at all.
- Maybe career is a thing of the past? My priority is to live a fulfilling, nourishing and enjoyable life doing things that feel right.
- And I can turn achievement on its head. Achievement can be about feeling content, experiencing joy everyday and being nourished to my core. It does not need to be measured in salary bands and job titles.
- So purpose may be the thing to focus on: having a conversation that feels life changing, following intuition even when it’s terrifying, listening to my body and my dreams. Perhaps that is where the real juice it.
- The whole of society functions on the base of many many people helping others without any hint of financial exchange. This is often forgotten.
- Income. Now that is another thing altogether and I will continue my study of how joy and income meet. If we are working on projects, whether they are paid or not should not change the quality of how we interpret the project.
- And when someone says, “what do you do for work?” I can answer – I don’t work; I do things for love. Or I can answer that I am a writer, website developer and an international aid worker. “How do you get paid?” is another question.
What are your thoughts on work, purpose, life and career? Where do you sit on this?