I was diagnosed in 2009 and there are many women like me that have survived. It’s how you choose to deal with your diagnosis that will make the difference. My greatest hope is that sharing my story helps someone else….
How did I feel when you were first diagnosed?
Shock, no way, this can’t be happening; the nurse had to get my sister because at this stage I couldn’t stop crying.
What really helped me get through breast cancer?
- Support from Family & Friends
- Cancer Society
- Friends I met during my journey
What did I learn through breast cancer?
- That a positive attitude and humour can get you through the worst
- Love and support of Family and Friends is forever
- Appreciate every day and enjoy the moment
What did I gain and lose through breast cancer?
I think I gained more then I lost…. I gained:
- Belief that I would get through treatment
- Knowing that I would change my life around
- Hope to believe in the future
- Making each day count
What did I do to get yourself ‘back’ from cancer and cancer treatments?
- Watched funny DVDs’
- Read trashy novels
- Special treats
- My children wrote special notes for me
- Coffee dates with friends
- Met other women with breast cancer
- Planned a holiday to celebrate
How is my life different now?
- I finally gave up smoking
- My life has more purpose and meaning
- I have a Bucket List
- I finally put myself First
- I left my job as an administrator and am studying towards a nursing degree
What I would say to someone going through breast cancer now?
When I was diagnosed I cried and had one day where I could feel sorry for myself. The following day I decided it was time to move on and meet this challenge.
- Everyone has different reactions as to how they deal with their diagnoses.
- Stay positive, I know it may seem hard to be positive but it can make all the difference in treatments.
- Surround yourself with family and friends, that will support you and love you unconditionally
- Listen to your body
- Chemo and Radiation: everyone has different reactions; not all people react the same way
- Special treats help you get through the worst
- Humour and positive attitude